We’ll be hosting our annual SXSW Take Back Your Internet party on March 12 this year. This will be our 4th Take Back Your Internet event, with previous panels focusing on net neutrality and open Internet and online privacy and security.
This year, Take Back Your Internet is all about backdoor encryption. Encryption has been a hot topic around the world, with a fierce debate taking place between the governments wanting backdoors into encrypted communications and the tech companies building this technology into products. We’ll be addressing backdoor encryption head-on with our panel, exploring why encryption is an essential tool, the need for safeguarding security and how this issue is affecting people and the right to privacy around the world. Our panel will include leaders from the policy, grassroots and business side, all providing unique perspectives on the issue.
Panel Topic: ” Do You Have the Right to Privacy? The Backdoor Encryption Debate”
- Congressman Will Hurd – 23rd District of Texas
- Nuala O’Connor – President & CEO of the Center for Democracy & Technology
- Daniel Schuman – Policy Director of Demand Progress
- Philip Molter – Co-CTO of Golden Frog
- Jim Cardle – Publisher & CEO of TexmasInsider.org
- Alan Fairless – Co-Founder & CEO of SpiderOak
WHAT: Take Back Your Internet Party & Panel – 2016
WHEN: Saturday, March 12 from 6-10pm
WHERE: Cooper’s Old Time Pit BBQ, 217 Congress Ave, Austin, TX 78701
You can learn more on our event page.