Golden Frog Visits DC to Talk Privacy, Open Internet in 2017TODO ?>
We had a great week in Washington DC, meeting with trade groups and congressional leaders to talk policy, privacy and how we can all work together on the issues Golden Frog cares so deeply about.
Here are some highlights from our trip:
- Met with Freedom House: Freedom House is an independent watchdog organization that is dedicated to the expansion of freedom and democracy around the world. Among their initiatives is an annual report on Internet freedoms, entitled Freedom on the Net. Last year’s report illustrated an alarming trend that Internet freedoms continue to decline for the sixth year in a row.
- Met with CDT: The Center for Democracy and Technology is a champion for global online civil liberties and human rights, and works on policy to keep the Internet open innovative and free. CDT spoke on our SXSW event last year, and we’re aligned on a variety of policies from strong encryption to privacy rights.
- Met with CCIA: The Computer and Communications Industry Association is a nonprofit organization that promotes open markets, open systems, open networks and competition. We’re a big fan of their work fighting for the open Internet and fully competitive markets, among other things!
- Met with Public Knowledge: Public Knowledge promotes freedom of expression, an open Internet and access to communications and creative works. We look forward to collaborating on a variety of issues, including fighting the surveillance allowed by the FISA 702 amendments and on protecting strong encryption.
We also had some great meetings with congressional members such as Congressman Ted Poe, Congressman Lloyd Doggett and Congressman Will Hurd, and attended briefings at several governmental offices. All in all, it was a great trip!
View our blog posts from the trip below for more details, and check out i2C’s wrap-up of the Congressional fly-in (you may spot a familiar face in the photos):
Golden Frog Stops By US Department of Commerce to Talk Privacy
Golden Frog Attends i2C Breakfast, Talks Email Privacy Act with Congressman Yoder
Golden Frog Meets with Congressman McCaul, Discusses Business Implications of Privacy Regulations
- From i2C: i2Coalition Members Make A Difference in Washington
At Golden Frog we actively advocate for a variety of issues that we care deeply about, including Encryption, Privacy, Open Internet, Data Retention and Censorship. We have some exciting updates coming on the policy side – stay tuned for details!