October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM)! This annual campaign takes place in the United States, and 2016 marks the event’s 13th year. NCSAM is sponsored by StaySafeOnline.org, and is supported by the US government. The goal of National Cyber Security Awareness Month is to raise awareness about the importance of cybersecurity and being safe online. This year, each week has a different theme:
- Week 1: Every Day Steps Towards Online Safety with Stop.Think.Connect.™
- Week 2: Cyber from the Break Room to the Board Room
- Week 3: Recognizing and Combating Cybercrime
- Week 4: Our Continuously Connected Lives: What’s Your ‘App’-titude?
- Week 5: Building Resilience in Critical Infrastructure
In today’s day and age, so much of your life takes place online that your Internet privacy and security are more important than ever. It’s important to be aware of the risks, and to learn what tools are available to better protect your privacy. We’ll be sharing tips and content throughout the month to help you stay safe online, and hope you’ll join us in re-sharing this vital information. Golden Frog has also signed up to be a NCSAM Champion this year! You can join the conversation online using the official NCSAM hashtag: #CyberAware.
Every Day Steps Towards Online Safety
To kick off the month here are a few tips on this week’s theme, Every Day Steps Towards Online Safety:
- Always use HTTPS: Whenever you browse online, be sure your URL begins with HTTPS (as opposed to HTTP). HTTPS indicates your conneciton is secure, which is a quick and easy way to better protect your privacy.
- Beware of Unsecured Wi-Fi: It’s important to understand that public Wi-Fi networks may be unsecured, meaning your privacy will be at risk when using these networks. Always think before you connect to an unknown network, and ensure to take measures to protect yourself when using Wi-Fi (learn about one great way in tip 3 below!)
- Use a VPN: A VPN, or virtual private network, is a tool that encrypts your Internet connection to protect your privacy and security online. A VPN is an effective way to ensure no one – not your Internet provider or a snoop or hacker – can see your online communications, the websites you visit or any other personal data.
For more great tips and resources on protecting your privacy and security online, visit our VPN Guides section and be sure to follow us on social media. Happy National Cyber Security Awareness Month!